Nickel Alloy 20 Bar
Nickel Alloy 20, UNS N08020 is an austenitic metal primarily comprised of nickel, iron, and chromium. It was originally developed to fill an industrial need for elite resistance to acidic substances, and alloy 20 is particularly adept at resisting the damaging effects of sulfuric acid. Sometimes classified as a "super alloy," alloy 20 also displays strong mechanical properties and is relatively easy to machine and fabricate.
Performance Characteristics of Nickel Alloy 20
The performance characteristics of this highly versatile alloy include:
- Excellent overall corrosion & oxidation resistance, especially in environments containing high levels of sulfuric, nitric & phosphoric acids
- Excellent resistance to chloride chemicals, including outstanding inherent protection against cracking caused by stress corrosion
- Outstanding stability against sensitization processes
Alloy 20 is usually viewed as a nickel-based alloy, though some manufacturers categorize it as stainless steel. Beyond its excellent overall mechanical and machinability properties, alloy 20 displays minimal carbide precipitation during and after welding. A typical composition breakdown is as follows:
- Nickel: 32.5 to 35 percent
- Chromium: 19 to 21 percent
- Copper: 3 to 4 percent
- Molybdenum: 2 to 3 percent
- Manganese: maximum of 2 percent
- Silicon: maximum of 1 percent
- Niobium: maximum of 1 percent
- Carbon: maximum of 0.6 percent
- Iron: makes up the balance
In addition to a broad range of uses in acidic and corrosive environments, alloy 20 is commonly deployed in the plastics, manufacturing, food processing, pharmaceutical, and chemical processing industries. Specific products containing high levels of alloy 20 include heat exchangers, piping, tubing, mixing tanks, pickling equipment, and acid cleaning equipment.
Chemical Composition Table
UNS: N08020 / TYPE: Alloy 20
|Max||2.00||0.07||21.0||4.0||38.0||0.045||0.035||1.00||3.00||Cb 8.0 x C-1.00|
For questions about the performance capabilities of alloy 20, or to request a no-obligation estimate, contact a Ram Alloys customer service representative. We are pleased to offer fast turnaround times, even on very large orders, in order to ensure your project remains on schedule.
Need more information? click here for a quote or call us at 713.466.1890 to speak with a Ram Alloys representative.